Monday, 19 September 2011

Do we always mean what we say?

The simple answer is no. All it takes is to use one word that doesn't quite sound right and an entire sentence and even paragraph can be a lost cause. This is one of the reasons why I love writing so much; because if you make one simple mistake due to not thinking clearly, the atmosphere of the entire piece can be ruined. I don't feel like that is possible with most other creative processes, like painting for example. One wrong brush stroke isn't good news but it can be glossed over if need be. One wrong word can mean something else, completely, and you might not even realise it. This is why I have so much respect for writers who consistently write beautifully and coherently throughout their entire book(s), it makes a really good story completely come alive as each word rolls off another. It allows the reader to see how much love and effort has gone into making something that they truly believe in and care about.

But unfortunately we all make mistakes sometimes! Whether it's in writing, a conversation or, like what happened to me a couple of days ago, a status update. While it's important to be proud of those words that you put together that just simply work beautifully, I also believe it's important to have a laugh at our own mistakes. Luckily, after I read my status update back to myself, I realised how it sounded. Here's my example of not saying what I actually meant to:


Would love to hear anyone elses word faux pas to help brighten up this rather grey and dreary Monday morning!!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I can't think of any off the top of my head, but this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baha. I do this all the time...although typically, any examples escape me. I may as well have a foot wedged beneath my tongue half the time.

    ReplyDelete