Monday, 26 December 2011

It's boxing day

And I am starting to see everyones new years resolutions flying around all over the place. On blogs, facebook, twitter, everyone is talking about what they are going to change in the new year. It baffles me that so many people are saying "I will start on New Years Day!". I don't understand why anyone would have such good intentions but actually plan a day to start them. Surely if you have these thoughts and intentions you act on them when you first think of them? I believe this is the reason why so much money is wasted in January on deluded people joining the gym or forking over money for expensive exercise equipment. People delude themselves into thinking that when they wake up one morning they will automatically feel more inspired to attain something that for the rest of the year, they can't be bothered with.

I for one enjoyed a big meal yesterday and will probably not be eating salad today but I am still aware that I want to lose weight and have spent well over an hour today getting the exercise that I need. Even if I don't lose weight because I've had a few unhealthy snacks along with a big roast dinner, I feel better for getting off my ass and moving. And I know that I am not just sitting on the sofa with my feet up, greasing myself up in all the chocolate and sweets that I can find, like so many people will have done today.

Of course I am not discouraging people to go for their goals and try to lose weight, I am simply asking them to consider if the new year is really enough of a reason to make this push? Is your life going to drastically change within the next year? For example, my cousin is graduating from University in 2012 and she wants to lose some weight so she can look her best and smartest for when she goes on all those job interviews when she finds herself in the "real world" of work. I think that this is an excellent reason to lose weight but of course, if you have this in your mind now, why not act on it now? You will only regret sitting in front of the T.V pigging out in a weeks time so why do it to yourself? Of course, have a treat or two but keep active in order to keep the weight off, even if it's just going for a walk after your meal for fresh air.

And to those of you who have no real reason to lose your weight apart from the fact that it's "new year" I would totally discourage you from spending lots of money on expensive gym memberships, perhaps invest in a kinect game or exercise dvd instead.

Good luck to everyone with new years resolutions and I hope that these couch potato "I will start in a week" types prove me wrong.

5 comments:

  1. I make changes when I think of them - New year's resolutions are just made to be broken :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah, that's so true! Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and that Santa brought you everything you wanted! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on resolutions years ago... I think I subconsciously realize, "new year, new start," though and slowly make changes that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean - I was thinking about this over the past few days and have decided against any new resolutions, I just resolve to try to maintain any changes I've managed to make throughout the past year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments ladies, I don't know why but I haven't considered it until this year. Probably because I seem to be one of the few people silly enough to start dieting just before christmas! I'm glad I did though, I didn't even eat THAT much (compared to some) over christmas and I had totally had enough by the end of boxing day, was actually sick of all the heavy food and couldn't wait to get to the store and buy loads of salad haha!! x

    ReplyDelete