Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Last day of January

As it's the last day of January I thought it would be appropriate for an update on life in general and also to comment on new years resolutions.

First of all though, thank you to all of you who have been checking up on me and sending me well wishes - I'm shaking this virus off now and feeling so much better. I still feel a bit rough so taking this week steady but in comparison to what I was like, I'm now absolutely marvelous! I actually managed to lose my voice over the weekend which everyone thought was pretty funny - I talk to my Mum on the phone almost every single day so I had to text her to warn her I wouldn't be able to answer the phone if she rang. She commented "I bet Chris is loving the peace and quiet!" Actually no, she couldn't have been more wrong, he actually hated it because I didn't stop trying to talk to him. He is an avid gamer and has some pretty expensive electrical items, including a gaming headset that he wears all the time for talking to mates on Skype while playing games - because they're such good quality they block out most of the sound around him anyway, so he had to keep taking his headset off every five minutes so he could really listen to what I was desperately attempting to say to him. I didn't realise how much I actually used my voice until it disappeared and not being able to talk was horrendous! But it's back now so I'm definitely making up for it.

The new years resolutions are going pretty well - Chris weighed me this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks (I didn't bother worrying myself with it while unwell) and said "how many pounds are in a stone?" - I realised that must be a good sign and when I told him, he declared I had lost 4lbs since the last weigh in which takes my total to 11lbs since Christmas. Really, really happy with that! I was hoping to lose a stone before Valentines day which is looking very achievable. I also wanted to have something hand made to give to each of my close friends by next Christmas which is again, looking very achievable. I've been sitting in front of the telly and getting plenty of knitting done. I actually found loads of wool in all different corners of my flat in all different colours and I've decided that I must use some of it up before buying any more. That's really not as easy as it sounds! Whenever I see a pretty colour that I've not seen elsewhere I just have to buy it because I could use it one day! So at the moment I'm working on a project which uses up pink and cream wool which I have in mind for one particular friend. I'll take a picture and upload it once it's got a bit bigger. I only really do any of it when watching TV or a film, seeing as I have an entire year (well, 11 months now) to complete a few projects I'm pretty happy with the speed I'm going at.

I can't believe it's the end of the first month of 2012 already but things seem to be heading in the right direction. I got a couple more results from last semester back and I seem to be averaging on a B grade which I'm really pleased with as I didn't put too much effort in last semester due to problems I had. I assumed I would have to work hard and make up for it after Christmas but it seems there's no need to worry! I just need to continue to work hard and make sure that I finish my assignments to the best of my ability.

With regards to my last post about trying to get youngsters reading more, it seems that reading and writing to a decent standard isn't considered to be cool these days. It seems those of us who care about this issue need to think of ways to make reading cool. I also see young girls trying to dumb themselves down in order for them to seem more attractive. This worries me and I would love to find a way to show these girls that they're actually more attractive with a brain, this is something I'll be thinking of for a while it seems.

(I've yet again changed the way my blog looks... perhaps one day I'll be 100% happy with it and leave it alone!)

2 comments:

  1. I really love the new look! I change my blog up quite regularly as well. Look forward to seeing your knitting project - I'm supposed to be learning to knit this winter, but I've managed to get sidelined with sewing projects instead. Hard to believe it's February already. Glad to hear you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane, I'm quite happy with it too - for now! I'm attempting to teach myself a few new knitting techniques using youtube - it seems like a really good way of learning, if you find yourself with a few spare minutes it might be worth looking there.

    ReplyDelete