Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Thinking about changes

Today I'm starting to think about changes that will be happening over the next few months. Looking at my uni schedule is starting to get really scary as there are only a few more texts to study before exams and there are only a few weeks left before Easter Break. I should probably look forward to Easter but I know that there are only a couple of weeks left of my second year after that so I'm starting to get a bit nervous! I'm also starting to apply for part time jobs, with the frame of mind that I would like to keep myself busy over the summer and earn a little extra money, especially as Chris' placement year is finishing at the end of July. I have applied for a Saturday job that I would absolutely love so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one but not getting my hopes up and I have an interview next week to be a student ambassador. I didn't know this was a paid position until I saw an advert and it's actually really good pay! All a student ambassador does is work odd days through the year when the uni is holding an event or open day, showing possible students around and trying to sell our uni as the best option. Again this would be great as a little extra cash in the piggy bank.

I have been thinking for a few days about the possibility of joining a gym but knew that we couldn't really afford it. Chris and I used to go to a gym together which was a really lovely place but it cost the best part of £100 a month for the both of us and that is really far too much money for us. I mentioned it to him last night and said that with him playing casual football a few times a week it'd be nice if I had something to do on my own and I'd like it to be going to the gym and I'm really glad I mentioned it. It turned out that his friend attends a gym that's only £15 a month and that comes with everything, even includes fitness classes. This sounds brilliant as it is way less than half what we paid for the other gym we were attending, and then after a little more researching we discovered that as a student I would only have to pay £12 a month and there is no need to pay any start up fee. I had no idea that you could get gym memberships so cheap! It's closer than the last gym I went to and would be really handy for me. Most days I get up early and don't have a lecture until the afternoon so I could easily spend an hour these mornings going to the gym. The only downside is that it doesn't have a pool and the other one did, but at that price if I really fancied going for a swim I could just go to the local pool instead. So I'm hoping to sign up to the gym later today and get that extra exercise that I mentioned yesterday, and for a really good price too.

The thought of the summer creeping up on me is really scary but also really exciting. Hopefully I'll be able to get a part time job, earn some extra cash for a few nice summer dresses and also get lots of uni work done. This is my last summer break before I actually leave uni - this time next year I'll be looking forward to graduating in summer instead of sunbathing and I'm really determined to make a good start on my dissertation before I go back at the end of September.

1 comment:

  1. That's something I miss about Uni. We had an on-campus gym at very good rates :-)

    ReplyDelete