Monday, 9 July 2012

50 shades of Grey

Don't worry guys, I haven't gone crazy and decided to read this shit, I just wanted to put my thoughts and feelings down about it. It really makes me laugh that everyone who I'm friends with on Facebook (apart from the obvious uni friends) absolutely loves it, and everyone on my Twitter feed says it's awful. It really does show the difference between the types of people who I went to school with and the types of people who I choose to befriend via blogging or Twitter.

What bothers me about 50 Shades of Shit is that it is actually written incredibly badly. Even the people who have read it and enjoyed it usually admit that the writing quality is bad. I don't understand why anyone would read something that they know hasn't been written very well? The next is that from what I hear, it doesn't even have a proper story line. Why would anyone read a book with no story? Is it just because it's erotica? If so then are people really so clueless to not know that there's a lot of erotica out there? A lot of which is actually very well written. It saddens me that this might be the case.

I suppose at least 50 Shades of Gash is getting people who wouldn't normally read to open a book. Although to be honest, in my opinion I would rather people don't read anything than read bad stuff that makes no sense - as this isn't going to help them with their reading skills in the future, in fact if anything it would probably make it worse.

I know that these opinions are very much based on what I've heard seeing as I haven't read the book(s) but I see reading work as giving the writer my recognition - and I really do not want to do that. I know that I may come across as a bit of a book snob, but anyone who knows me knows that I do love to sink my teeth into a good bit of chick lit when I want to relax, particularly in the sunshine. But the types of books I read are genuinely well written - my favourite "chick lit" author is Marian Keyes who writes very well rounded characters, good story lines and also at times makes chick lit a bit darker than the average writer.

My point to this post is that I wish people would be a bit more informed and instead of picking up the same book that everyone else is reading, research what styles and genres they really do enjoy and find a good writer in this area. There really are brilliant writers out there who don't get anywhere near the amount of recognition that they deserve because people are too busy picking up 50 Shades of Vomit just because society tells them they should.

As an aspiring writer, this is something that really bothers me about writing and reading. It seems that a lot of the time success doesn't come down to talent; it's just pure luck and hype.

6 comments:

  1. I've also heard the same things and have no interest in this series. Life's too short to read poorly constructed, badly written trash literature. Though I wish I had her bank account balance, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Jane that's so true. Fair play to her for succeeding and earning some decent cash!

      Delete
  2. I read a little bit of it and have to agree on how badly it's written. Turns out it was a Twilight fanfic (which explains a lot seeing as that was also pretty terrible).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Becky, just shows that writing fanfics can sometimes pay off even if they're not all that good lol

      Delete
  3. You're right -- pure luck and hype go a long way in this world. Not just in the field of literature, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true - unfortunate for some and fortunate for others I suppose. Thank you for the follow :)

      Delete