Friday, 20 July 2012

"Spring Clean" exercise routine

As I have taken up tennis as a form of exercise and a hobby and I've been working 4 or 5 times a week I haven't been hitting the gym as much as usual. I know that working doesn't seem like much of an excuse but I walk 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back again every shift and also working in a clothes department store is very demanding on the legs it really tires me out. I'm constantly stood up and running around taking clothes to and from the shop floor, so by the time I'm home at 7pm I'm really knackered. I have been wanting to get some exercise besides this but I have a knee injury from when I used to run every day a few years back and when I do a lot of walking or running around, my knee hurts a lot and going to the gym just hurts it more. So I have been considering what I can do to help myself get some light exercise on the days that I work as well. Lucy recently blogged about how amazing and relaxing she is finding pilates at the moment and I thought, that could work. It is mainly stretching so my knee won't be stressed out; I did some more research and discovered that pilates alone does not help you lose weight but added to a good diet and some cardio a few times a week it can certainly aid it and make you leaner. That was all I needed to hear and so went out and bought myself a pink yoga mat. There's loads of videos on youtube so I will be looking there to find some beginners moves. 

My motivation for all this is that I want to be smaller by the time I go back to uni the last week of September.  I am very lucky that I like my hourglass figure; just at the moment I would like it a bit smaller.I recently sorted through all my clothes and threw a lot out (stuff that I used to wear clubbing when I was a single teenager.... say no more!) but I still have lots of clothes, particularly dresses, that are slightly too small for me at the moment, that I would love to wear autumn/winter as I love wearing dresses with thick tights and accessories like scarves (particularly the home made ones). Here are a few of my favourites.


They are only a little bit too small for me so it shouldn't take much effort to get back into them - some of them have barely been worn so this is a great inspiration for me.

 I think it's important to always update your exercise routine if your day to day life changes to make sure you don't fall into a rut and "forget" to workout - which can be done very easily as I discovered last year at uni when I gained some weight! Wish me luck with the pilates - hopefully I won't feel too much of an idiot doing it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it's good to vary your workout routine - for one you end up working different muscle groups and secondly, there's less chance of getting bored with exercise and then not doing it at all. (That's happened to me over the years.) I do pilates and it's a real workout - I believe it really helps to build up your core strength and improves over-all toning. Good luck - I'd want to get back into those cute dresses as well - it's a shame to have them just hanging in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard so many good things about pilates I can't wait for a few weeks down the line to see if it has much of an effect. Last year because I didn't have a lot of time to go to the gym I ended up hardly doing anything and that was why I gained some weight - never making that mistake again!

      Delete