Monday, 20 August 2012

The Dress by Sophie Nicholls

I found this cheap to download on the Kindle, and I was after a cheap read to keep me busy, and to fill a couple of hours here and there. I really enjoyed the majority of the book, but before I go any deeper, let's have a look at the description.

What Amazon says

Meet Ella and her mother Fabbia Moreno who arrive in York, one cold January day, to set up their vintage dress shop.
The flamboyant Fabbia wants to sell beautiful dresses to nice people and move on from her difficult past. Ella just wants to fit in. But not everyone is on their side. 
Will Fabbia overcome the prejudices she encounters? What's the dark secret she's hiding? And do the silk linings and concealed seams of her dresses contain real spells or is this all just 'everyday magic'?
Among the leopard-print shoes, tea-gowns and costume jewellery in Fabbia's shop are many different stories - and the story of one particular dress. 
This is a full-length novel for lovers of vintage and readers of contemporary romance/fantasy.

What I thought

This was a really nice read all in all. Very well written, flows beautifully and has a good story to get involved in. We get to know Ella and her mother, and the other characters for that matter, very slowly, and a book that at first just makes me want to go shopping and find some amazing vintage pieces, turns darker and feels like much more of a "meaty" story. It reminds me of typical teenage girl dilemna's -I hadn't noticed how long ago that was until I read this - but also shows you the life of an older woman to contrast, making it a good read for a woman or girl of any age - provided she is old enough to not be bothered by the darker parts (I say that because I started reading adult books at a very young age because of my advanced reading skills). There is also an element of fantasy as we hear myths and stories told to Ella as she grows up, which I really enjoyed. I do like fantasy but sometimes find it hard to appreciate a whole book about a fantasy land with elves and wizards. For me, this book had the right amount of reality versus fantasy. The only way that this book disappointed me was because the end seemed to trail off into nowhere. A lot of time was spent building the story up and it was over before we knew it, with no real resolve, or at least not enough of a resolution to keep me happy. Maybe I'm the bad one for enjoying books to come to a head and have something truly awful happen before the end? I'm not sure. If you like happy endings, this is the one for you. Overall, I really enjoyed the book, the story is imaginative but still real and believable. I would recommend to anyone wanting a nice read with a bit of substance although it can be quite girly in places. I found the details of the vintage clothes and accessories a really nice touch that made me enjoy the story even more. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good book to have a look at, something a little unusual which I like!Also I was totally the 12 year old who terrified herself reading adult books too!

    Sarah
    http://lifeasalittlewallflower.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a good book to read on a Sunday afternoon when you jst wnat to chill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies, it is a nice book to read if you ever find yourself bored and wondering what to do for a few hours :)

    ReplyDelete